Friday, January 11, 2013

Lemon Leek Asparagus

One thing I didn't consider when I started this blog is that I never really pay attention to how much I put in recipes, I kind of just throw everything together and use my nose to get the right balance of spices - it makes re-creatable recipes difficult but I'm starting to pay more attention for the sake of this. That being said, feel free to fiddle around with amounts of spices and things to get to whatever suits your palate.


Today I bring you a simple recipe, one that is quick and nutritious to throw together in a short amount of time but still full of flavor. During my second year of college, I became a fan of asparagus and would cook it with some lemon juice, olive oil and pepper and call it a day. I hadn't done this in ages, so I thought I would do it today, but as I was preparing I noticed a piece of leek sitting on my table from yesterday (I'm really good at cleaning.). In a moment of impulsiveness I bit into it, thinking it was an end piece and should just be thrown out. Prove me wrong, it tasted great and I couldn't bring myself to waste good vegetables.

What You'll Need:
2-3 Slices of Lemon
A handful of Asparagus (I told you I'm good with amounts)
A spoonful of Coconut Oil
About 2 Tablespoons of sliced leek
A dash of sea salt
A couple of twists of black better

Note: This is meant to serve one, as a side dish to something meaty - for more people, make more.

Do it: In a small pan, melt the coconut oil over medium heat. Once the oil is melted place the asparagus, leek and lemon slices in the pan. Add the salt and pepper. Simmer until veggies are bright green and nice and soft. You can eat the lemon slices with it, or remove them - I personally like eating them! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment